Important Documents to Maintain
- Military Separation Certificate (DD 214) or similar certification covering the last period of service
- Birth Certificate - yours, spouse, and dependent children
- Marriage Certificates - current and previous marriages
- Divorce Decrees
- Insurance Policies - life, accidental death, VA, etc
- Current Last Will and Testament - yours and spouse
- Deeds to Property
- Stocks and Bonds
- Titles to Cars, Boats, etc.
- Income Tax Information - Federal, state, property tax
- Social Security Card and Military ID Card
- Status of Retired Pay Account
- Bank Books - checkbooks, certificates of deposit, etc.
- Powers of Attorney
It is suggested some type of survivor assistance folder be maintained in the household containing some or all of the above documents, or at least detailed instructions as to their location. To obtain replacement DD Forms 214 call: 1-314-538-4261 Fax: 1-314-538-4175.